- Water Quality monitoring – optical and electrochemical sensors for the determination of disinfectants, nitrate, dissolved oxygen, and organic pollutants.
- Waste water/sewage analysis using non-contact optical techniques for the determination of BOD, COD, TOC colour and turbidity.
- Miniaturised industrial chemical sensing (uTAS) system for industrial and domestic water monitoring.
- Determination of pesticides and heavy metals such as lead, mercury and cadmium.
- Air Quality-detection of solvent vapours: remote and localised sensing of explosive hydrocarbons and waste stack emissions.
- Antibody-based sensors for phenolic compounds.
- Integrated monitoring systems.
- Remote sensing systems for the longterm remote determination of phosphate with in-situ data logging and GSM-based transmisson to replace ‘integrated monitoring systems’.
- Point of care applications for cost effective muliparameter patient monitoring.
- Low density microarrays based on antibodies, proteins and DNA for disease diagnosis and monitoring.
- Micro instruments, sensors and sampling systems for minimally invasive analysis.
- Development of tumour markers and human antibody assays.
- Determination of enzymes such as lactate dehydrogenase and creatine kinase.
- Custom bioprocess development.
- Isolation and purification of biomolecules.
- Development of novel sensors for the detection of illicit drugs.
Fundamental Materials, Separation Sciences, Imaging and Characterisation
- Novel chromatographic materials
- Separations technologies
- Assay development
- Biomolecular manipulation
- Nanotechnology materials
- Advanced spectroscopy techniques
- Image processing